About Suitcase talen – learn Dutch fast for highly educated people
Learn Dutch quickly at Suitcase talen. Meet Margreet Kwakernaak.
Suitcase talen has been an evening school since its start in 1995. Students come after work, or after a day of caring for the children. Therefore, evening students should have strong motivation. Unfortunately, it is difficult to find teachers who are just as motivated. Why? Because few want to work late into the evening.
Highly educated people who want to learn Dutch fast
As a result, Margreet Kwakernaak decided in 2011 to teach all the lessons herself.
Although she missed her colleagues, this decision also gave Margreet a great opportunity. Finally, she could specialize in highly educated people who want to learn Dutch quickly. Now, she enjoys her work.
Since then Suitcase talen has a good reputation. Because Margreet has a lot of experience, the program is effective and well organized. Moreover, Margreet is always working on new parts and techniques.
Before she founded Suitcase languages in 1995, Margreet Kwakernaak was a teacher for young people aged 12-17 in secondary schools. Additionally, she worked with students aged 18-65 in adult education.
Margreet Kwakernaak studied Spanish language and literature at the University of Amsterdam.
Teaching adults became Margreet’s great love. After 22 years of teaching high school students, she said goodbye to the young people. After that, she started her evening school: Suitcase talen. In order to build up the company in peace, she combined her school with lessons in regular adult education.
After ten years, Suitcase talen was independent. Shortly after leaving the school where she had learned to teach Dutch, Margreet wrote her first book: Dutch for Dummies. This successful book was followed by seven other Dutch textbooks, including the Werkwoorden op Rij series. Writing became Margaret’s second love.
How Suitcase talen became a school to learn Dutch fast
- 1995. Suitcase talen, Divertimentostraat in Muziekwijk Almere, is founded as an evening school. Business English, French, German and Spanish for Dutch residents of Almere who work in the international companies in and around Almere.
- 1999. Move to Operetteweg, Muziekwijk Almere.
- 2000. First website. Huibert Kwakernaak supports Suitcase talen’s IT.
- 2001-2007. More than 15 language trainers teach business English, business French, business German, Italian, Russian and Spanish. Margreet is the manager.
- 2002. Margreet starts NT2, Dutdach as a second language for international people.
- 2006. Margreet writes ‘Dutch for Dummies’, her first and most successful book. In the next 10 years 7 Dutch textbooks follow.
- 2007. Move to de Paal, Almere-Haven, Dutch and English. Margreet returns to her first love: teaching. She continues developing the Dutch program, assisted by two expert teachers.
- 2010. Owing to the economic crisis there is no demand for English. From now on, Suitcase specializes in Dutch.
- 2011. The last colleague stops teaching Dutch. Margreet specializes in teaching highly educated people.
- 2018. Move to Marnix Gijsenstraat in Literatuurwijk, Almere-Stad. Owing to internationalization and the imminent new law on Civic Integration, Suitcase is very popular among highly skilled migrants and expats.
- 2020. Due to Covid19, switch to online classes. The effectiveness of online learning inpires to start with the Delft method online. This is e-learning with online conversation classes
- 2021. Further development of the Delft method Delft method online, addition of civic integration modules.